Libby Heads to the Bridge

Published: February 24, 2012

Libby was part of our family for nearly 10 years. She passed away on February 2, 2010 at 10:30am. She was at least 14 years old. Cancer got the best of her, but not without a  fight! She’s finally resting and at peace.

We adopted Libby from BREW on November 6, 2000. I remember the day we met her at Judy’s home (Judy was fostering Libby for BREW). Oh – she was just so timid and shy and just a love! We knew she was the one right away. She had been rescued from the streets of Puerto Rico, still had her Spanish rabies tag, and responded to Spanish commands.

Over the years she became entrenched in our lives. We took her everywhere, from our favorite B&B in the Shenandoah Valley (the Widow Kips in Mt. Jackson), to New York City and even Atlantic City! We tried to include her as much as possible. And of course she made friends with adults everywhere we went. Most people thought she was a puppy since she was so small and were shocked to hear of her age. But as she got older and grayer her age was evident.

She really preferred people over dogs and really adults over children. We once took her to a dog park and all she wanted to do was sit on the bench with us! When she was young she loved her toys (particularly a squeaky hedgehog) but as she grew older she snoozed most of the day. However, until the day she died, she hated the mailman, and let him know daily with her bark/growl.

We adopted our daughter Josselin in March 2008, and Libby was anything but ecstatic! Libby had been our only “child” and the star of the house for 8 years! It was sad to see her have to take a back seat for awhile. But Paul always, always, always made time for her and every night, no matter the weather, they took nightly walks.

Libby only grew tolerant of Josselin in the end. And I suspect it was because she was becoming ill from cancer.

Libby was a warrior her whole life! She came from the streets of Puerto Rico, lost 9 teeth on arriving to the US, had numerous surgeries to remove bumps and lumps. She even had a 5 lb blood clot and her spleen removed 3 years ago! Each time she bounced back better than before.

In December 2009, we discovered that she had a huge mass in her stomach and had it removed. It was a 4 lb cancerous mass. And she bounced back so great – it took 4 years off her life. She jumped up and down and ran around just like she had in years passed. We were warned that the cancer could be aggressive and could come back. And in the second week in January we knew it was growing again. It was very aggressive and in the end the cancer made her incredibly weak and unable to eat or breathe. It was horrible to watch her deteriorate; however, we know she is in a better place, pain free – at the Rainbow Bridge.

We will see you at the Rainbow Bridge Libby-girl! We love you and we will never forget you! We miss your snuggles already!! - The Breakman Family

1 Response

  1. Be at peace dear, little Libby.You were a true warrior and a true blessing to your family.

Leave a comment